Cracked Pots and Twilight in the Garden

I'm currently sitting out at the table in my garden working from my PowerBook. In looking over my calendar I see that two of my favorite garden-related events are coming up this next week. Put them on your schedule as part of your recovery program following the expected heat wave here in Portland this weekend.

Cracked Pots presents their 7th Annual Garden Art Show July 25 & 26 (next Tuesday and Wednesday) at McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale. From 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. over 60 local artists will be displaying and selling their garden art made from recycled materials. The Edgefield gardeners will also be having a plant sale each day from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Grab a brewski (my favorite on a hot summer day is always the Ruby) or summer cocktail from one of the numerous bars at Edgefield before taking an extended tour of the gardens and what the artists have to offer. My garden is home to several pieces purchased over the years at the event.

The internationally recognized Joy Creek Nursery hosts their annual "Twilight in the Garden" event on Saturday, July 29th from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The event gives visitors a chance to tour the beautiful 4+ acres of show gardens in the cool of the evening while enjoying light refreshments, live music by local high school jazz musicians and garden plantings highlighted by the light of dusk. It's also a great opportunity to check out the work of local artists. My garden features birdbaths, pots of all sizes and trellises from the selection at the Scappoose nursery.

Joy Creek is responsible for the design and installation of the gardens in both my front and back yards. The nursery is also a client of mine and I have designed the Joy Creek logo and many other marketing materials over the past 13 years. My partner and I have been long-time friends of owners Mike Smith and Maurice Horn. In fact, as we occasionally stay out at the home on the grounds of the nursery, we refer to the place as "our country house." "Twilight in the Garden" is a chance for others to have the evening nursery experience we've come to take for granted over the years.

Flower photo courtesy of Joy Creek Nursery

© 2006 Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

No comments: