Could you draw major logos from memory?

I came across an interesting web site the other day called Brandmarker. The art group monochrom attempted to evaluate the actual power of commercial brands by making people draw famous logos from memory. Austrian individuals were asked to draw a total of twelve logos (nine international, three typically European) from the memory of past interactions and sightings of the images - 25 people per brand. The identities selected included adidas, BP, Coca-Cola, Lacoste, Apple and others.

Brands, and logos, do seem to stick in people's minds. I thought it was interesting how many people drew the old BP shield rather than the newer flower-like image. Still, the shield is my one of my first memories of a major international logo. It was on a tanker truck in my Matchbox car collection when I was a kid. (In fact, I probably still have that particular toy vehicle as I have most of my collection stored away - many in their original boxes.) In several cases older versions of the featured logos were drawn.

Hmmm...I wonder why about half of the people got the Lacoste "critter" facing the wrong way?

monochrom is an international art-technology-philosophy group founded in 1993. Its offices are located at Museumsquartier/Vienna (at 'QDK'). The group works with different media and art formats and publishes the German book and magazine series monochrom. monochrom is known for its left-wing political work/civil society work. The group's website functions as a collaborative digital art community.

© 2006 Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

No comments: