Fresh and Inviting?

Yesterday I received my October issue of Graphic Design:usa and, with what must be the result of magazine production and mailing delays, what was old news appears to be new news again. There it is once more: Quark touting the virtues of their new identity - which, according to corporate communications director Glen Turpin is a "fresh, inviting and open" symbol representing a "q" letterform - in the news article Geometric Logo Signals Openness at Quark. The roll-out of the logo caught the attention of designers around the world, who were quick to find similar identities all over the Internet.

In late September, published the piece Sometimes a Logo is Just a Logo offering their take on the situation. Watch this space for a mention of my upcoming column on how designers can attempt to avoid such identity problems.

By the way, Graphic Design:usa is an excellent freebie resource for industry professionals. I suggest you apply for their free subscription.

© 2005 Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

1 comment:

Neuro said...

Thanks for the reminder about this magazine. I forgot about it after it stopped coming a while back. I can't wait to start receiving it again. Sounds like there is a lot of interesting stuff this month.

As far as the Quark logo is concerned, I think it was a stumble that Quark just did not need at this point.