Fresh and Inviting?

Yesterday I received my October issue of Graphic Design:usa and, with what must be the result of magazine production and mailing delays, what was old news appears to be new news again. There it is once more: Quark touting the virtues of their new identity - which, according to corporate communications director Glen Turpin is a "fresh, inviting and open" symbol representing a "q" letterform - in the news article Geometric Logo Signals Openness at Quark. The roll-out of the logo caught the attention of designers around the world, who were quick to find similar identities all over the Internet.

In late September, CreativePro.com published the piece Sometimes a Logo is Just a Logo offering their take on the situation. Watch this space for a mention of my upcoming CreativeLatitude.com column on how designers can attempt to avoid such identity problems.

By the way, Graphic Design:usa is an excellent freebie resource for industry professionals. I suggest you apply for their free subscription.

© 2005 Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

1 comment:

Jake said...

Thanks for the reminder about this magazine. I forgot about it after it stopped coming a while back. I can't wait to start receiving it again. Sounds like there is a lot of interesting stuff this month.

As far as the Quark logo is concerned, I think it was a stumble that Quark just did not need at this point.