Designer interaction, professional resources,

time-wasters and imaginary friends

In a current thread on the Graphic Design Forum, member Juggnoxalo asked others to post links to other forums they visit. I shared my forum list and thought it might be a good resource to post as a blog entry as well.

In a past bLog-oMotives entry I mentioned my Creative Latitude article Funny Things Happen on the Way to the Forums, in which I interviewed three moderators of online design forums. The Internet opened up a whole new world of interaction for designers - especially for the somewhat isolated one-person design shop like my own home-based studio in Portland. The forums are often an incredible information resource for designers, a great "time-waster" for the daydreaming design professional, and an excellent way to make what my partner refers to as my "online imaginary friends."

With many recent emails from designers wondering how they can interact with others in the graphic design field, I am posting links to some of the forums I visit as a reference. (Those in bold are the ones I frequent most often):

About.com Graphic DesignAnticubicleCommunication ArtsCore77Designate Onlinedesigners4mDesigners LoungeDesignersTalkDesignwireDexingerGraphics.comGraphic Design ForumHOWLounge72Rookie DesignerModMinds (fairly new) • The Creative ForumThe Designers ForumTypophile

In addition, an excellent business-related forum is Startup Nation.

© 2006 Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

No comments: