Prepare for any marketing or promotion
opportunity with a customizable 'media kit'

In my recent HOW Design Conference presentation, Planning, packaging and promoting yourself as the product, I discussed one of my most useful and flexible marketing and promotion tools - what I refer to as my customizable media kit. When a potential identity design client contacts me I can quickly assemble a complete marketing packet to send off in the mail. If an editor, writer or reporter needs additional information about my business I can adapt the included materials to their specific needs, too.

I've made use of the marketing packet for over a decade now. The presentation folders used (in the photo above) are purchased in bulk through an office supply store. The vast majority of the marketing materials are then produced in-house as needed, making use of a color laser printer. Creating the promotion tools in my home studio also allows me to customize each included document if necessary.

A Jeff Fisher LogoMotives brand compatible label is printed on adhesive backed stock and adhered to the front of the folder. Prior to mailing, the packet is filled with the printed elements specific to the targeted recipient. The packet is then placed in a white catalog envelope, prepared with a custom mailing label, for sending off to the addressee.

Depending on who is to receive the promotion information, the presentation folder may include:

1. A personal biography sheet (below left): The information basically mirrors the current Engineer of Creative Identity description posted on the Jeff Fisher LogoMotives blogfolio.

2.) A listing of awards won with my design work: In a little over a decade my design efforts have been recognized with nearly 600 awards and honors.

3.) A list of books in which my work, or references to Jeff Fisher LogoMotives, appears: Over 100 books feature my work to date.

4.) A page of articles written about Jeff Fisher LogoMotives: Published pieces from newspapers, magazines, corporate blogs and webzines.

5.) A list of articles I've written: Magazine and Internet articles I've written about design, identity, marketing and the business of design - including excerpts from my books Identity Crisis! and The Savvy Designer's Guide to Success.

6.) Speaking engagement list: Upcoming and previous speaking engagements, presentations and workshops.

7.) My estimate sheet: Showing my hourly rates does "qualify" many possible clients.

8.) A copy of my project agreement: (above center) This seems to be another excellent project "qualifer" for potential clients who may just be "tire kickers."

9.) My two-page Identity Client Survey: - Two pages of identity design related questions customized to the specific client to whom it is sent. I also send the questionnaire to the individual in email from for ease in answering the questions.

10.) Examples of my logo design work: (above right) I have a variety of pages of logo design examples ready to be printed as needed. I collate them and add a cover sheet that is basically a representation of my website homepage

11.) Several "Toot! Toot!" press releases: (above center) Sharing a few press releases informs potential clients, editors, writers and others about the latest Jeff Fisher LogoMotives news.

12.) Specialized logo sample sheets: If there is a request for examples from a specific industry I will include a pre-prepared sheet of examples for that type of business. Just this past week I supplied several sheets showing logo re-designs (above right) to a potential client looking to have an update of their current identity.

13.) My business card: I always include 2-3 business cards. One for the person receiving the packet and one or two that they can give to others who may desire the services of an identity designer.

14.) A copy of an article I have written: (above left) I like to include an example of an article I have written about some aspect of logo design. It may be a piece explaining my logo design process for a potential client, an example of my writing for an editor considering contracting me to write for a publication, or an article with some historical perspective on my business as a logo designer for a writer/reporter preparing to write about my business.

15.) Book promotion materials: With the late 2007 release of my book, Identity Crisis!: 50 Redesigns That Transformed Stale Identities Into Successful Brands, I have been including some book marketing pieces in the packet. I may include an information sheet about the book displaying some examples of the published case studies, a couple "Jeff Fisher is having an Identity Crisis!" postcards, or some other piece directly recipients to the Identity Crisis! blog.

I usually have four or five completed media kits ready to send out at any given time. That allows me to respond to any potential client of media request almost immediately. With content flexibility, all I may need to do is delete or add pages that are specific to the request for additional information about Jeff Fisher LogoMotives.

Creating a "media kit" for your own work allows you to respond thoroughly and quickly to any request for more information about your business, in a customized manner. Producing it in-house keeps your cost be information packet to a minimum, allows for easy updating and gives you complete control over the contents you may want to distribute to a specific individual.

Note: My customizable media kit was featured in the June/July 2008 issue of Dynamic Graphics magazine.

© 2008 Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, Jeff, great ideas as always! Can't wait to put this one to use.

Ashley McFarland said...

Thanks for the how-to! Having a media kit is a superb first step in marketing yourself and your business--and it shows you are very well organized (bonus). Excellent examples and information!
-Ashley

Anonymous said...

Wait? The middle item you have listed that says Project Agreement, is that your contract? If you have a one page contract, you are the man! Meanwhile I am stuff everything on two pages.

Jeff Fisher LogoMotives said...

Patrick - My "project agreement" is my contract that may be customized for any individual client project. - J.